Category Archives: Notable Brockvillians

People of Brockville in Groups

nurses-BGH-1906The Nursing Class of 1906.

These seven recent graduates of the Brockville General Hospital School of Nursing are placed in this photograph surrounding Miss Gertrude Bennett, the Nursing  Superintendent.
They are (clockwise from the front left):  Miss Mills, Miss Wylie, Miss Wilson, Miss Easton, Mrs. Lott, Miss Moore and Miss Dier.

.

BCI teachers 1892Six High School Teachers at Brockville Collegiate institute in 1892

(STANDING, from left)   J.D. Dickson (Mathematics) and James S. Copland (Science)
(SEATED, from left)  Miss A. Edith Giles (Moderns),  A.W. Burt, principal (Moderns + English),  Miss Hattie M. Burns (later Mrs. Geo. T. Lewis),  Ralph E. Ross (Classics)

.

Brockville Minstrels 1885Brockville Minstrels before performing in Ogdensburg, NY – 1895

.

Commonwealth P.S. GR 8 1958Grade 8 Class at Commonwealth Public School, Brockville – 1958

.

5 Policemen 1989Five Brockville Police Officials in 1989

(from left)  Jack Wylie deputy-Chief;  former chiefs: Leslie Sterritt,  Wilmot F. Young, Gerald Curtis, Raymond McFadden

.

Officers 41st Regiment Brockville Rifles June 1905Officers of the 41st Regiment, Brockville Rifles – June 1905

TOP ROW, (from left) – Lieut. Arthur T. Wilgress,  Lieut. J. Murray Dobbie,  Lieut. F.E. Graham,  Lieut. William Weatherston.
MIDDLE ROW, (from left) – Capt. Allison G. Bowie (Quartermaster),  Surg.-Maj. R. Nelson Horton,  Lieut. Hugh W. Bryan,  Capt. Charles T. Wilkinson,  Surg.-Lieut. Robert A. Bowie,  Capt. Elmer W. Jones,  Capt. R.W. Stewart,  Lieut. Charles A. Donaldson.
BOTTOM ROW, (from left) – Capt. and Adjt. William S. Buell, D.S.A.,  Capt. E.E. Clarke,  Lt.-Col. Alson A. Fisher, (C.O. 41st Regt.),  Col. W.D. Gordon, (Off. Com. Eastern Ontario),  Lt.-Col. W.D. Hodgins, (D.S.O., M.D. No.4),  Maj. John Power,  Capt. Albert M. Patterson.

.

BCI 4th form 30-314th Form Class at Brockville Collegiate institute  —  1930-31

.

Frank Fulford Orchestra 1900Frank Fulford Orchestra — 1900

(BACK, from left)  Sid Stockwin (bass),  Merrill Gilbert (trumpet),  Vaughan Sunderland (trumpet),  Frank Crippen, Ellis Eck (clarinet),  (—) Turbett (bassoon), Harvey Edwards (bass).
(FRONT, from left)  George Burridge (drums),  Miss Emma Morency (vocalist),  Frank Fulford (leader & violin), Billy Taylor (flute),  William Carley (flute).

.

5 Gents from BrockvilleFive Gents from Brockville — ca.1865

In the centre was Michael J. Reid.

.

Douglas Haig P.S. kindegarten 1949Kindergarten Class at Douglas Haig Public School, Brockville — 1949

.

Hook & Ladder Co - Brockville Volunteer Firemen ca1890Brockville Volunteer Hook & Ladder Company No.1 — ca.1890

Back Row (from left)  Patrick S. Roberts (railwayman),  John YorkWilliam J. Reynolds,  John L. Upham (bookseller),  James Connors (moulder),  W. Kelly,  James H. Stewart (butcher),  W. Ezra Amond (labourer)
Middle Row (from left)  John Woods,  Henry Mathen (boat livery),  Michael Collins (machinist),  William Mathen,  D. Brady,  John Flanigan,  James H. Hall (carter),  George K. Dewey (tax collector)
Front Row (from left)  John R. Reid,  Henry Jennings,  J. Owens,  Thomas Miller (moulder),  William Dodd,  James S. Dodds,  Joshua E. Timlick (machinist),  John Botham (packer),  William McKay,  Thomas Nicol,  William H. Harrison (stoves)

.

Common School Trustees 1866 (brighter)

Staff and Trustees of Common School Board — 1866

(standing, back row) Herbert S. McDonald; William R. Bigg, principal, Victoria School; Christopher Fletcher.
(sitting, front row) James J. Henderson; Robert Kinney, teacher, Victoria School; William McCullough, Chairman of the Board; Thomas Price.

.

Smarts (Thos & 2 bros)Thomas Smart and family — ca.1865

.

Brockville Hockey Team ca1900

Brockville Hockey Team — ca.1900

. Six Brockville FishermenSix Brockville Fishermen

. BCIVS Senior Boys Basketball 1947Senior Basketball Team at Brockville Collegiate — 1947

.

BFD Rangers hockey teamBrockville Fire Department RANGERS Peewee Hockey Team

.Brockville Snowshoe Club 1885 (Murray & Son) enhancedBrockville Snowshoe Club  —  20 Feb 1885

.

Advertisements

Rare and perhaps unpublished King St. Views

This posting is devoted to a few terrific photographs that very few people may have seen before. They have turned up at various times and I have been fortunate enough to have been able to copy them for use sometime. Perhaps this is a good time.

.

ca. 1868

King St W, Brockville, ON - ca1868

One of the earliest street scenes taken in Brockville, perhaps in the late 1860s.   The photographer was Alexander C. McIntyre, who for may years was the pre-eminent photographer in Brockville.   His “International Gallery” was located at the corner of King St. and Market St.   This shot is looking east from the Court House Ave. intersection.   The photographer’s studio was located on the second and third floor of the Manuel-Fullerton Building (built about 1845), now the location of the National Rental-Purchase Centre at 2 King St. W.   Patients who visit Dr. John Arnott have sat in the area where A.C. McIntyre had his studio and gallery.

This photograph has captured all the busy activity of Brockville’s main street, showing shoppers and wagons.   The dirt road, a mud obstacle during the rainy season is skirted by wooden sidewalks and lighted by gas lamps, both commonplace features of any town.   Some of the visible buildings on both sides of the street might be found today.   Most notable is the bell tower of Victoria Hall, now the home of our City Hall.   The pictograph sign of the big black boot marks the location of the boot and shoe store of Robert Lipsett at 124 Main St.

.

ca. 1865

Willson-House-1860s

From the same period, but giving a closer view of the intersection of King & Market Square.   The new feature of this end of town was the Victoria Hall, built in the years 1862-64, to the designs of Kingston architect, Henry H. Horsey.   In the centre of the picture is the Willson House hotel ,which was first opened in November 1849 by William H. Willson.   Between 1868 and 1873 the hotel as known as the Campbell House while owned by John L. Campbell who was previously a hotelkeeper in Prescott.   Many people will remember this building as the Revere Hotel, until it suffered a mysterious and disastrous fire on November 6, 1974.   The smaller stone buildings on the right were built probably in the 1820s and ’30s, but were replaced over 80 years ago.

.

ca. 1890

King St. W north side ca1886

Several years had passed since the previous photographs were taken. Here is the same block on the north side of King St. W. on a summer day (note the awnings and noon time shadows) in the 1890s.   The new granolithic sidewalks are now constructed of modern concrete and the tall wooden poles have arrived on the main street to carry the latest in modern electrical wiring.   The first impressive building on the left is located exactly where the former Woolworth’s Store is now located.   This was the Merrill Building built in the 188os for Augustus H. Merrill, who operated a book and job printing business upstairs.   From there eastward, most of these buildings are still existing, with the exception of today’s one-storey gift emporium Dream Weaver, and the third floor addition on the Manuel-Fullerton Building. The first intersection, which is today’s Victoria Ave. was previously known as Market St. The first sloping-roofed building pictured in the middle was built for liquor merchant, George K. Houston, about 1869, and now houses Boboli Café. The sign on the next building indicates the dry goods business of O’Donahoe Bros.

.

ca. 1900

King St. north side 1890s

The same block was photographed about 10 years later during the winter. Look at the evidence for this: the snow on the road, horses pulling sleighs, and pig and chicken carcasses hanging and laying outdoors. The first store, in the Merrill Building, is that of Heman Shepherd, a dealer in dry goods. Next door was the butcher business of Thomas Burns. Then, by noting their sign, Alexander and William G. Baird have taken over the dry goods business previously carried on by the O’Donahoe Brothers.

.

May 25, 1892

Edwin P. Comstock Funeral May 25. 1892

This photograph was taken on the day of Edwin P. Comstock’s funeral and shows the south side of King St. W. as it looked in 1892.   Edwin was the son and heir of William H. Comstock, one of Brockville’s patent medicine business owners, and died when only 26 years old, while in the midst of a promising career. In the far background, beyond Victoria Hall, you can see the 3-storey round corner brick Weatherhead Building. On this side of the Revere House hotel are the oldest small stores for many years owned by the Richards family. The stripped barber pole is bound to get attention as are the over-signage on George E. McGlade’s CPR Telegraph and steamboat ticket office. The last store visible on the right is that of tobacconist Frank “Ike” Ritchie, who for some reason hung more than one sign with the spelling “Ritchey” or “Ritchey’s”.

.


Brockville Fire Department Pictures

^

All the photographs in this post are from the vast collection of Fire Memorabilia amassed by the late Mervyn McKay.

^
 

brockville-fire-co-ladder-wagon-1899

Members of the Brockville Hook and Ladder Co. in 1899.

^

firemen-with-hose-reel

The Fire Department Hose Reel Team about 1915

^

running-the-hose-reel

Running the Hose Reel Along King St. E. near Murray St.

^
^^

no1-brockville-fire-dept-1919

Brockville Fire Department in 1919.   George Gillespie, Chief (front centre), Fred Mathews, Deputy-Chief (front right)

^

fred-mathews-fire-chief-1920-23

Fred Mathews, Fire Chief 1920-23

^

 

1920-fire-hall-firemen

In this photograph taken in 1920, the Hook & Ladder wagon, the old hose wagon, and the new Republic truck is posed in front of the Perth Street Fire Hall, built in 1910 at the corner of James St. W.

^


1930-bfd-firefighters

Fire Chief John Hartley and his fire crew in 1930

^

26 November 1949 – Smart’s Block Fire

^^
smarts-block-fire-3-nov-26-1949

At the height of the Smart’s Block fire

^

smarts-block-fire-2-nov-26-1949

The firemen try to contain the blaze on the evening of November 26, 1949.

 

^

lt-clarence-mckay-chief-charles-shorey-deputy-chief-edward-bub-lacasse-smarts-fire-26-nov-1949

Fire Chief Charles J. Shorey, and Deputy-Chief Edward “Bud”Lacasse, Deputy Fire Chief  assess the damage in the morning, while Lieut. Clarence McKay, in the background, trains a hose on a remaining hot spot.

 

^

smarts-block-fire-nov-26-1949

The next morning, the aftermath of one of Brockville’s most extensive main street fires.

^

1960s

marshall-lacasse-keetch

John F. Marshall, Lieutenant;  Edward “Bud” Lacasse, Deputy Fire Chief; and Arthur C. Keetch, driver, posed on the 1934 Bickle Quad Fire Truck.

^

 

Buell Family Pictures

[click on any photograph to enlarge it]

William Buell, Jr.

(1792-1862)

as drawn by Frederick Lock around 1842

William Buell, Jr.

(1792-1862)

Upper Canada Provincial Politician and Newspaper Publisher of the “Recorder”

Captain Jacob D. Buell – 1866

(1827-1894)

Commanding Officer of the Brockville Infantry Company militia

Jacob D. Buell

Jacob D. Buell – ca.1880

(1827-1894)

Lawyer, Mayor of Brockville, Member of Provincial Parliament

William S. Buell - 1892

William S. Buell – 1892

b. 1868

Lt.-Col. William S. Buell

Mayor of Brockville, C.B.E.

Commanding Officer of the Brockville Rifles