Monthly Archives: October 2008

Brockville’s Main Downtown Intersection – King and Court House

King Street West & Court House Ave. [ or Broad St.]

^

[click on any photograph to enlarge it]

^

The Dunham Block

47-51 King St. W. [south side] at Broad St.

built 1892-93

photo taken about 1895

Tenants in 1903:

Robert Wright & Co., dry goods,   Canada Life Assurance Co.,   H.A. Stewart, barrister,   C.C. Fulford, barrister,   London Life Insurance Co.,   Bell Telephone Co. of Canada Ltd.,   The Capsuloid Co., Metropolitan Life Insurance Co.,   William Shearer, district manager, North American Life Assurance Co.,   Robert Craig, hats and furs,   and Mrs. Eliza Davies (wid. Ransom).

^

The Jones-Harding Building

41-45 King St. W [south side] at Broad St.

built 1832, but extensively renovated in 1904

photo taken in the 1950s

Tenants at that time:

Carrick’s English China Shop,    Bank of Nova Scotia,  Public School Inspector’s Office,   Leeds Advertising Specialties,   London Life Insurance Co.,   and Mrs. Mabel Taylor.

^

The Fulford Block

54, 56 King St. W. and 2, 4 Court House Ave.

originally built 1889 – Gutted by fire in 1916 & then rebuilt.

photo taken about 1895

Tenants in 1903:

H.B. Wright & Co., confectioners,   F.R. Curry, druggist,   S.J. Kilpatrick, general agent, Mutual Life Assurance Co. of Canada,   Hutcheson & Fisher, barristers,   J. Albert Page, barrister,   Dr. Williams Medicine Co,   G.T. Fulford & Co.,   W.F. Dever & Co., stock brokers,   Elmer W. Jones, barrister,   Willis Coates, wholesale jeweller,   Brockville Business College,   William J.R. Gill, caretaker,   The Metropolitan Bank,   McNaughton & Shirreff, insurance,   Grand Trunk Ticket Office,   GNW Telegraph Co.,   and the Canadian Express Co.

^

The Bank of Toronto

48-52 King St. W. [north side] and 3 Court house Ave.

built ca.1921-22

photo taken about 1925

Tenants in 1928:

Bank of Toronto,   Parish & Fitzpatrick, barristers,   Woodrow & Mallory, dentists.

^

View of King St. W. [looking westerly]

photo taken about 1915

^

View up Court House Ave [looking north from King St.]

photo taken about 1905 during the May Day Parade

^

Court House Ave. [looking north from King St.]

photo taken in 1928

^

King St. W. [looking easterly]

photo taken about 1936

^

[click on any photograph to enlarge it]

^

Advertisements

Pictures of old Brockville Industrial Factories

https://oldbrockvillephotographs.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dg-photo-collection-tiny.gif

[click on any photograph to enlarge it]

^

Bowie & Co.

Bowie & Co., Brewers and Malsters

[view taken from Water St., looking south east]

Water St. E. [south side] from Bethune St. to Park St. [now demolished, and the site of the Executive Condominium]

^

Laing Produce & Storage Co. Ltd.

Laing Produce & Storage Co. Ltd.

[aerial view taken from over river, looking north]

Manufacturers of “Betty” Brand Condensed Milk and “Dorthy” Brand Evaporated Milk, and “Golden Glow” Creamery Butter [1929]

39-41 Water St. E. [south side] from Bethune to Park St. [now demolished, and the site of the Executive Condominium]

A more complete story on this factory can be found by following this link on our sister site, Brockville History Album

^

General Milk Products of Canada Ltd.

General Milk Products of Canada Ltd.

[view taken looking north]

Manufacturers of Butter, Milk Powders, Condensed and Evaporated Milk, etc. [1956]

Pearl St. E., cor. of North Augusta Rd.

^

Canada Carriage Company

Canada Carriage Co.

1879 – 1930

[view looking north-east from rail line, taken about 1900, before the 1905 fire]

Carriage and Sleigh Manufacturers

Park St., just north of the Grand Trunk Rail Line [now demolished, and the site of the Brockville Legion and youth softball grounds]

This engraving shows the new and expanded Canada Carriage Co. buildings that were built after the destructive fire of January 4, 1905.

^

Phillips Cables Ltd.

Eugene F. Philips Electrical Works Ltd.

[aerial view, looking north-west, taken about 1940]

Manufactures of copper rod and insulated wires,wires and cables

King St. W. at the city limits [just recently demolished, 2008]

^

1000 Islands Mineral Water Co.

1000 Islands Mineral Water Co.

[view looking north-east, taken in 1970s, before being demolished]

58 Brock St. [north side] at head of Buell St. [now a city park]

^

Union Hat Works

Union Hat Works

[view looking south-west from Park St., taken about 1905]

Park St. [west side], just south of Grand Trunk Rail line

In 1902 an existing enterprise, known as the Union Hat Works of St. John’s. Quebec [now known as St. Jean} a small city located south of Montreal on the Richelieu River, approached the Town of Brockville. They offered to relocate their factory to Brockville. The reasons for their re-location was said to be, to get nearer to their customers in Ontario, along with their need for larger facilities to expand.

Brockville Town Council were very interested in welcoming a new source of employment and soon entered into negotiations with the three principle shareholders, J.C. Saulnier, A. Decelles, and Charles J. Altman. A bonusing deal was eventually arrived at with those proposing the relocation of the Union Hat Works to Brockville.

It was necessary to go to the rate-paying citizens with a referendum to approve a contract which involved the town providing a free piece of land from three possible sites. The $19,000 bonus aid would have to be raised by selling debentures. The value of the completed project would be secured with a mortgage for $20,000 in favour of the town. The factory business owners in turn promised to build a 3-storey brick main building, 100 feet long by 45 feet wide, and a wood-frame one-storey side wing to the west, 75 feet long by 35 feet wide at their own expense.

The owners also pledged to build these buildings and to install suitable machinery to the valuable of at least $20,000. When the building was completed, the town would make the first payment of $5,000. Following that, when the placement of the suitable required machinery was completed, a further payment of $7,500 would be paid to the owners. The company could not raise any money by a mortgage on the property. One year after the placing of the equipment a payment of $500 would be made.

The company would not be required to pay any property taxes for the next ten years, commencing in 1903. In turn, the company pledged to employ at least 100 workers, and to pay out to them at least $30,000 in wages per year.

The town agreed to complete the bonus on equal amounts of $1,500 per year for four years as long as the Hat Works continued in business and continued to hire local workers.

The Bonusing By-law was presented for a vote on July 14, 1902 and received the approval of the voters.

The ideal piece of industrial land on Park St. just south of the GTR main line was handed over for the construction of the new hat factory.

^

Wolthausen Hat Corporation Ltd.

Wolthausen Hat Corporation Ltd.

[view looking west from Park St.]

Hat Manufacturers

Park St [west side], just south of Grand Trunk Rail line

^

Stetson Hat Co.

Stetson Hat Co.

[aerial view looking south]

Hamilton St to Park St., just south of the Canadian National Rail line [demolished in 1973]

^