Category Archives: King Street

Rare and perhaps unpublished King St. Views

This posting is devoted to a few terrific photographs that very few people may have seen before. They have turned up at various times and I have been fortunate enough to have been able to copy them for use sometime. Perhaps this is a good time.

.

ca. 1868

King St W, Brockville, ON - ca1868

One of the earliest street scenes taken in Brockville, perhaps in the late 1860s.   The photographer was Alexander C. McIntyre, who for may years was the pre-eminent photographer in Brockville.   His “International Gallery” was located at the corner of King St. and Market St.   This shot is looking east from the Court House Ave. intersection.   The photographer’s studio was located on the second and third floor of the Manuel-Fullerton Building (built about 1845), now the location of the National Rental-Purchase Centre at 2 King St. W.   Patients who visit Dr. John Arnott have sat in the area where A.C. McIntyre had his studio and gallery.

This photograph has captured all the busy activity of Brockville’s main street, showing shoppers and wagons.   The dirt road, a mud obstacle during the rainy season is skirted by wooden sidewalks and lighted by gas lamps, both commonplace features of any town.   Some of the visible buildings on both sides of the street might be found today.   Most notable is the bell tower of Victoria Hall, now the home of our City Hall.   The pictograph sign of the big black boot marks the location of the boot and shoe store of Robert Lipsett at 124 Main St.

.

ca. 1865

Willson-House-1860s

From the same period, but giving a closer view of the intersection of King & Market Square.   The new feature of this end of town was the Victoria Hall, built in the years 1862-64, to the designs of Kingston architect, Henry H. Horsey.   In the centre of the picture is the Willson House hotel ,which was first opened in November 1849 by William H. Willson.   Between 1868 and 1873 the hotel as known as the Campbell House while owned by John L. Campbell who was previously a hotelkeeper in Prescott.   Many people will remember this building as the Revere Hotel, until it suffered a mysterious and disastrous fire on November 6, 1974.   The smaller stone buildings on the right were built probably in the 1820s and ’30s, but were replaced over 80 years ago.

.

ca. 1890

King St. W north side ca1886

Several years had passed since the previous photographs were taken. Here is the same block on the north side of King St. W. on a summer day (note the awnings and noon time shadows) in the 1890s.   The new granolithic sidewalks are now constructed of modern concrete and the tall wooden poles have arrived on the main street to carry the latest in modern electrical wiring.   The first impressive building on the left is located exactly where the former Woolworth’s Store is now located.   This was the Merrill Building built in the 188os for Augustus H. Merrill, who operated a book and job printing business upstairs.   From there eastward, most of these buildings are still existing, with the exception of today’s one-storey gift emporium Dream Weaver, and the third floor addition on the Manuel-Fullerton Building. The first intersection, which is today’s Victoria Ave. was previously known as Market St. The first sloping-roofed building pictured in the middle was built for liquor merchant, George K. Houston, about 1869, and now houses Boboli Café. The sign on the next building indicates the dry goods business of O’Donahoe Bros.

.

ca. 1900

King St. north side 1890s

The same block was photographed about 10 years later during the winter. Look at the evidence for this: the snow on the road, horses pulling sleighs, and pig and chicken carcasses hanging and laying outdoors. The first store, in the Merrill Building, is that of Heman Shepherd, a dealer in dry goods. Next door was the butcher business of Thomas Burns. Then, by noting their sign, Alexander and William G. Baird have taken over the dry goods business previously carried on by the O’Donahoe Brothers.

.

May 25, 1892

Edwin P. Comstock Funeral May 25. 1892

This photograph was taken on the day of Edwin P. Comstock’s funeral and shows the south side of King St. W. as it looked in 1892.   Edwin was the son and heir of William H. Comstock, one of Brockville’s patent medicine business owners, and died when only 26 years old, while in the midst of a promising career. In the far background, beyond Victoria Hall, you can see the 3-storey round corner brick Weatherhead Building. On this side of the Revere House hotel are the oldest small stores for many years owned by the Richards family. The stripped barber pole is bound to get attention as are the over-signage on George E. McGlade’s CPR Telegraph and steamboat ticket office. The last store visible on the right is that of tobacconist Frank “Ike” Ritchie, who for some reason hung more than one sign with the spelling “Ritchey” or “Ritchey’s”.

.


Advertisements

Brockville Post Cards from the Past

.

.

brockville-air-view-postcard1

.

Aerial View of Brockville in the 1960s.

.

ss-brockville-c19101.

S.S. Brockville, passing through the Brockville Narrows at Swiftwaters.

.

public-library-c1910-postcard-2.

The new Brockville Public Library, funded by the Andrew Carnegie Foundation, in about 1910.

.

king-st-postcard-1930s.

King Street, looking east, from Market Sq. in the 1930s.

.

rowing-club-c1910-postcard2

.

The Brockville Rowing Club, 21 Water St. E. in the 1890s, during one of the Rowing Regattas.

.

king-st-e-postcard-1930s2.

King St. E., looking west in the 1920s.

.

revere-house.

The Revere Hotel, 7-13 King St. W. at Market Sq. in the 1950s.

.

brockville-gen-hospital-from-air-postcard.

Aerial View of the Brockville Collegiate Institute and the Brockville General Hospital in the 1960s.

.

magedoma-postcard-1920.

George T. Fulford s yacht, Magedoma, moored at his dock, off the shore at his home, Fulford Place.

.

post-card-idlewilde.

Idlewilde, the home of John A. Derbyshire on the shore west of downtown Brockville, about 1910.

.

A Long View of the Town of Brockville in 1857

built-in-brockville

canada-button

^

view-of-brockville-from-eastons-1853

1857

One day in the summer of 1857, an unknown photographer set out to take a panoramic photograph of the Town of Brockville. He climbed to the highest point of George and Isabella Easton’s new house, also known as Beauvoir, just east of North Augusta Road (now at 41 Cochrane Dr.). We have attempted to point out a few of the buildings which can be identified.

Source: The Brockville Museum

beauvoir-easton-house

^

created-in-wordpress-button1

dg-in-flag

Brockville’s Main Downtown Intersection – King and Court House

King Street West & Court House Ave. [ or Broad St.]

^

[click on any photograph to enlarge it]

^

The Dunham Block

47-51 King St. W. [south side] at Broad St.

built 1892-93

photo taken about 1895

Tenants in 1903:

Robert Wright & Co., dry goods,   Canada Life Assurance Co.,   H.A. Stewart, barrister,   C.C. Fulford, barrister,   London Life Insurance Co.,   Bell Telephone Co. of Canada Ltd.,   The Capsuloid Co., Metropolitan Life Insurance Co.,   William Shearer, district manager, North American Life Assurance Co.,   Robert Craig, hats and furs,   and Mrs. Eliza Davies (wid. Ransom).

^

The Jones-Harding Building

41-45 King St. W [south side] at Broad St.

built 1832, but extensively renovated in 1904

photo taken in the 1950s

Tenants at that time:

Carrick’s English China Shop,    Bank of Nova Scotia,  Public School Inspector’s Office,   Leeds Advertising Specialties,   London Life Insurance Co.,   and Mrs. Mabel Taylor.

^

The Fulford Block

54, 56 King St. W. and 2, 4 Court House Ave.

originally built 1889 – Gutted by fire in 1916 & then rebuilt.

photo taken about 1895

Tenants in 1903:

H.B. Wright & Co., confectioners,   F.R. Curry, druggist,   S.J. Kilpatrick, general agent, Mutual Life Assurance Co. of Canada,   Hutcheson & Fisher, barristers,   J. Albert Page, barrister,   Dr. Williams Medicine Co,   G.T. Fulford & Co.,   W.F. Dever & Co., stock brokers,   Elmer W. Jones, barrister,   Willis Coates, wholesale jeweller,   Brockville Business College,   William J.R. Gill, caretaker,   The Metropolitan Bank,   McNaughton & Shirreff, insurance,   Grand Trunk Ticket Office,   GNW Telegraph Co.,   and the Canadian Express Co.

^

The Bank of Toronto

48-52 King St. W. [north side] and 3 Court house Ave.

built ca.1921-22

photo taken about 1925

Tenants in 1928:

Bank of Toronto,   Parish & Fitzpatrick, barristers,   Woodrow & Mallory, dentists.

^

View of King St. W. [looking westerly]

photo taken about 1915

^

View up Court House Ave [looking north from King St.]

photo taken about 1905 during the May Day Parade

^

Court House Ave. [looking north from King St.]

photo taken in 1928

^

King St. W. [looking easterly]

photo taken about 1936

^

[click on any photograph to enlarge it]

^

Old Views of Brockville’s King Street

[click on any photograph to enlarge it]

dg-photo-collection-tiny.gif

King St. W., Brockville, ON - looking west from John St - just prior to the visit of the Prince of Wales in 1860

King St. W., Brockville, ON – looking west from John St – just prior to the visit of the Prince of Wales in 1860

King St. W., Brockville, ON - looking west from Broad St - just prior to the visit of the Prince of Wales in 1860

King St. W., Brockville, ON – looking west from Broad St – just prior to the visit of the Prince of Wales in 1860

King St. W., Brockville, ON - looking south-east from roof of Flint's Building at corner of Court House Ave - ca1866

King St. W., Brockville, ON – looking south-east from the roof of the former Flint’s Building at the corner of Court House Ave – ca.1866King Street W., Brockville, ON - looking east from Buell St. - taken about 1868

King Street W., Brockville, ON – looking east from Buell St. – taken about 1866

King Street W., Brockville, Ontario - looking west from W. Market St. - taken about 1869 by George MurrayKing Street W., Brockville, Ontario – looking west from W. Market St. – taken about 1869 by George Murray

King St. W. at market St., Brockville, ON - looking west - ca1894 King St. W. at market St., Brockville, ON – looking west – ca.1894

King Street W. looking east from Court House Ave. - ca. 1915 King Street W., Brockville, ON – looking east from Court House Ave. – ca. 1915

King St. W., Brockville, ON - looking east from st. Andrew St. - ca1935

King St. W., Brockville, ON – looking east from st. Andrew St. – ca.1935

dg-photo-collection-tiny.gif